Beats By Girlz empowers young girls to create their own beats and compositions by using technology, including drum pads, drum machines, loop stations, computers and other electronic devices and software. They currently have chapters in 6 US cities and are growing rapidly. HLAG is very excited to again collaborate with BBG to offer the Beatmaking category for this year’s Hit Like A Girl contest.
HLAG + BBG 2020 is the third annual global drum programming contest for female beat makers. Its purpose is to spotlight female beat makers/producers and encourage females to engage in music technology. The event is produced by Hit Like A Girl Contest in partnership with Beats By Girlz and our activities are made possible by the generous support of our partners, Ableton, ROLI, Native Instruments, Melodics, Novation and Presonus.
All female and female-identifying producers are eligible to enter!
Two Age Groups
All female producers and programmers are encouraged to participate regardless of their age or ability level. The <18 and 18+ age divisions allow everyone to support each other and the community.
1 – 3 Minute Song
Originals, covers or remixes, you pick. Please format the track as Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG Contest).
All songs must be uploaded to Soundcloud for submission
Production Elements Including Sequencing/Groove, Sound Design & Selection, Technical Execution, Musicality
Sound Quality, Space and Balance
Passion, Personality and Detail, Presentation, Effectiveness, Memorability, Cover Art
Entering The Contest
March 2, 2020 — April 26, 2020
Contest Entry Checklist
- 1 – 3 minute song/beat uploaded to soundcloud.com. Please format the track as Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG Contest).
- A brief bio telling your music journey, inspiration behind your song
- Recent photo of yourself working on your song!
- ***Be sure to set your track to “Public” so it can play on the HLAG website!***
ROLI Mini Contest
BBG is proud of our sponsorship with ROLI, an innovative music technology company known for the Seaboard, BLOCKS, and the music-making app NOISE. In addition to your HLAG + BBG Drum Programming Submission, you may partake in our mini-contest by creating a track using the NOISE app and uploading it to NOISE.fm with the label “Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG + ROLI Contest).” Winners of the mini-contest will be chosen by the founder of Beats by Girlz, Erin Barra. The Grand Prize winner will receive a Roli BeatMaker kit consisting of a Lightpad Block, a Loop Block controller and production software. *Download NOISE for iOS or Google PixelNOISE.
*To be in with a chance of winning the Roli Mini-Contest, entrants must reside in the US, UK, European Union, Canada or Australia. Entrants from other regions are still eligible to enter—if one of these entrants is named the winner, the creator of the winning entry will instead be offered another prize.
How To Make It To The Finals!
- Our Judges: The entries will be judged by producers, engineers, artists, composers and sound designers who are all working towards gender equity in a field where women are highly underrepresented. Each of the judges will be able to vote for their favorite entries.
- Public Voting: Public, online voting will be open for all entries and contestants. Friends, fans and family can vote once per track per day. In order to vote a person must create a profile and be signed on through HLAG.
- Listens: The amount of plays on your track will average into your overall score. The top tracks with the most listens on soundcloud will be automatically bumped to the finals!
And The Beatmaking Champion Is…
Winners Announced on May 18, 2020
The 2019 Hit Like A Girl Champions, winners and runners-up will be notified by email and announced on the Hit Like A Girl website on May 18, 2020 at at 12:00 PM PST.
*Note: Dates shown are subject to change.
Official Rules & Policies
All entrants must identify as female. There are no restrictions on age, genre or DAW. There are no rules to what sort of sounds you should use, or if there should be vocals or not. We just want your best production that showcases your most original work.
Winners will be chosen by our team of incredible women in music technology, including:
- Erin Barra
- Danielle Thwaites – Daiza
- Christin Light
- Krithi Rao
*Everyone who enters HLAG + BBG will receive the Beats by Girlz Sample Pack, Vol. 1 and will have their tracks included in an exclusive playlist.*
Ableton, ROLI, Novation, Native Instruments, Melodics and Presonus