HLAG + BBG 2019 is the second annual global drum programming contest for female beat makers. Its purpose is to spotlight female beat makers/producers and encourage females to engage in music technology. The event is produced by Hit Like A Girl Contest in partnership with Beats By Girlz and our activities are made possible by the generous support of our partners, Ableton, ROLI, Roland, Korg, Yamaha and Presonus.
All female and female-identifying producers are eligible to enter!
1 CONTEST, 2 AGE GROUPS, MANY WINNERS
All female producers and programmers are encouraged to participate regardless of their age or ability level. The <18 and 18+ age divisions allow everyone to support each other and the community.
Everyone who enters HLAG + BBG will receive the Beats by Girlz Sample Pack, Vol. 1 and will have their tracks included in an exclusive playlist.
1 – 3 MINUTE SONG
Originals, covers or remixes— you pick.
Production Elements (Such as Sequencing, Groove, Sound, Technique, Musicality
Passion, Personality and Detail
All songs must be uploaded to Soundcloud for submission
ENTERING THE CONTEST
MARCH 1, 2019 — APRIL 12, 2019
CONTEST ENTRY CHECKLIST
- 1 – 3 minute song/beat uploaded to soundcloud.com.
- Please format the track as Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG Contest).
- A brief bio telling your music journey, inspiration behind your song
- Recent photo of yourself working on your song!
- ***Be sure to set your track to “Public” so it can play on the HLAG website!***
BBG is proud of our sponsorship with ROLI, an innovative music technology company known for the Seaboard, BLOCKS, and the music-making app, NOISE.
In addition to your HLAG + BBG Drum Programming Submission, you may partake in our mini-contest by creating a track using the NOISE app and uploading it to NOISE.fm with the label “Track Title (HLAG + BBG + ROLI 2019)”.
Winners of the mini-contest will be chosen by the founder of Beats by Girlz, Erin Barra. The Grand Prize winner will receive a Roli BeatMaker kit consisting of a Lightpad Block, a Loop Block controller and production software.* Download NOISE for iOS or Google Pixel
*To be in with a chance of winning the Roli Mini-Contest, entrants must reside in the US, UK, European Union, Canada or Australia. Entrants from other regions are still eligible to enter—if one of these entrants is named the winner, the creator of the winning entry will instead be offered another prize.
HOW TO MAKE IT TO THE FINALS!
- Our Female Judges: The entries will be judged by producers, engineers, artists, composers and sound designers who are all working towards gender equity in a field where women are highly underrepresented. Each of the judges will be able to vote for their favorite entries.
- Public Voting: Public, online voting will be open for all entries and contestants. Friends, fans and family can vote once per track per day. In order to vote a person must create a profile and be signed on through HLAG.
- Listens: The amount of plays on your track will average into your overall score. The top tracks with the most listens on soundcloud will be automatically bumped to the finals!
- ROLI – Mini Contest: In addition to your HLAG + BBG Submission, you may partake in the ROLI mini-contest. All those who submit for the ROLI mini-contest will automatically bump to the finals!
THE BEAT MAKING CHAMP IS…
Winners Announced on May 24, 2019
The 2019 Hit Like A Girl Champions, winners and runners-up will be announced via live webcast May 24, 2019 at 6:00 PM PST. The Awards Show will feature videos of top finalists and winners as well as appearances and performances by celebrity drummers, judges and guest hosts.
*Note: Dates shown are subject to change due to unforeseen delays.
OFFICIAL RULES AND POLICIES
All entrants must identify as female. There are no restrictions on age, genre or DAW. There are no rules to what sort of sounds you should use, or if there should be vocals or not. We just want your best production that showcases your most original work.
Winners will be chosen by our team of incredible women in music technology:
- Erin Barra
- Danielle Thwaites – Daiza
- Christin Light
- Paula Fairfield
- Christine Hoberg
- Tanya Leigh
- Shaunna Schanzenbach
- Jen Mitlas
Ableton, ROLI, Yamaha, Roland, Presonus, Melodics and Korg