Among the many prizes available to contestants in this year’s Hit Like A Girl international contest for female drummers are scholarships and performance opportunities to some of the most prestigious events and music camps in the world. The 2019 special awards include:
• Berklee College Of Music — A full tuition* scholarship to the world-famous, “Aspire: Five-Week Music Performance Intensive” summer program. The winner of the Berklee award will be selected in the “Under 18” category and provided the opportunity to spend 5 weeks with world renowned faculty, including department chair Omar Hakim and professor Terri Lyne Carrington. The program is designed for high school students and features classes, private lessons and ensemble rehearsals under the direction of the Berklee instructors on the school’s campus in Boston, Massachusetts. Many alumni of this program have completed their undergraduate degree at Berklee and gone on to successful careers in the music industry.
• Drumeo “Debut” Award — The Champion of the 18-39 age division in the drumset category will receive an all-expenses paid trip to record their own show at Drumeo studios in Vancouver, BC as well as a lifetime membership to Drumeo Edge.
• Girls March — One full tuition* scholarship to one of marchgirls.org’s summer camps where the recipients will be able to work on her drumming as well as her musical and professional skills with top female drummers and drum industry consultants.
• Jammcard — One over 18 “Jammpion” will be chosen to receive a membership in the fast-growing social network for professional musicians.
• Little Kids Rock (Southern California Region) — The top entry from a girl drummer who also participates in Little Kids Rock will win a package of cymbals, drumsticks and drumheads for their school band program.
• Musician’s Institute — Two full tuition* scholarships to MI’s “Summer Shot” in Hollywood, California will be awarded to contestants in the 13-17 age group.
• School Of Rock — One under 18 contestant in the drumset category will receive a full tuition* scholarship for a one semester performance/lesson package at their local School Of Rock location.
• The Sessions — Chosen by a panel of leading drum industry professionals, the “Joe Hibbs Memorial Scholarship” will be awarded to the HLAG entry that exhibits the most passion, perseverance and positivity.
*Full Tuition scholarships do not include travel, housing or food.
Selected Hit Like A Girl winners will have the opportunity to perform at a host of conventions and events including Sweetwater Gearfest, the NAMM Show, the Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC), Girls Rock Camp (GRCA) and the Drum Corps International (DCI) and Winterguard (WGI) World Championships.